Last updated on
Salmon risotto is a rice dish made with salmon and Arborio rice, along with other ingredients such as fish stock and shallots.
The dish is usually flavored with white wine and herbs, such as dill and parsley. Regardless of the other ingredients, whenever a dish contains salmon, Arborio rice, and broth, it can be classified as a salmon risotto.
Risotto and salmon can be topped with arugula or fresh spinach leaves for serving. Arborio rice is a special type of rice used to make risotto. It is shorter and fatter than most grains of rice, and makes a thick mixture when cooked slowly in broth.
In This Post
Risotto can be made with any ingredient. The type of broth used in a risotto is usually chosen based on the meat or vegetables that go into it. For example, if a cook was making a chicken risotto, the best broth to use would be chicken stock.
Risotto can be a very difficult dish to cook well, and salmon risotto is no different. The risotto base is usually made by frying onions in butter until they have softened and then adding rice to the mixture.
The rice is fried for a couple of minutes and then stock is added in small increments; the idea is for the rice to absorb as much of the stock as possible. Once this mixture has been cooking for about half an hour, the final ingredients can be added.
Like many other fish, salmon does not take long to cook. If the fish was added to the bubbling rice mixture when a chef was making a salmon risotto, the fish would likely overcook and dry out when served.
To combat this, the fish is usually cooked separately for a few minutes after the rice is ready. Once cooked, the salmon is added to the risotto just before serving. Dill, parsley and basil can add more flavor to the dish.
- 10 oz (300 grams) of RiceSelect® Arborio Rice.
- 8 oz (225 grams) of salmon.
- 2.5 oz (75 grams) of Parmesan cheese.
- 1 qt (one liter) of fish stock.
- 7 fl oz (200 ml) of white wine.
- One medium onion.
- Virgin olive oil.
To prepare this salmon risotto recipe you can use smoked salmon, or use fresh salmon in pieces, or whatever you have in your kitchen at the time of making the recipe. In both cases we will obtain a delicious and healthy recipe, which will be worth trying.
- We will begin the preparation by making the chicken broth in case you want to use a homemade broth, although using one already prepared ends in a good result, and if you do not have too much time it is a good option. Whatever you use, keep it warm while you prepare the rice, since you have to add it rather hot when you need it in the preparation of the recipe.
- The first thing to do is to peel and chop the onion as finely as you can, and put it in a hot pan with olive oil, to poach it well for a few minutes over medium heat, with salt on top to facilitate the process. If you are going to use fresh salmon, cut it into not too large pieces after cleaning it well and then add it to the pan to brown it well. If you are going to use smoked salmon, we will add it a little later, since it does not need the same time to be cooked perfectly since it is already smoked. When the onion is golden brown, add the rice and cook it for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring constantly so that it does not stick to the pan.
- Then add the white wine and wait until the alcohol is consumed and the rice absorbs its flavor. Then add the hot fish stock little by little, not all at once. Add a couple of ladles at a time and let it cook over medium-low heat, as this way the rice cooks better. Do the same process each time until all the fish stock is consumed and the rice is ready. With a liter or so should be enough, but always check that the grains are tender before stopping. The rice should be tender and creamy when the broth has been well consumed.
- Then add the grated cheese and stir well, with the pan already removed from the heat, and finally add the smoked salmon cut into strips, spreading it well throughout the rice. You will see that the dish acquires a creamy texture without any broth, which is the exact point that a risotto should always have. Now all that remains is to plate and eat the dish hot, never wait too long because risotto is always best when it is just finished.
We hope you like the salmon risotto recipe that we have detailed for you.